
From my research I have found that Pilobolus is a crucial maverick in the world of dance. This company has taken the typical understanding of concert dance and shattered it with new and innovative techniques. Pilobolus is not afraid of challenging movement barriers, and that fascinates me. Most of the pieces are formed with substantial intent concerning issues such as politics, genetic research, and day to day activities. This is very similar to other famous concert dance companies and artists such as Martha Graham, Anna Sokolow, and the Paul Taylor Dance Company.
Though similarities can be drawn between Pilobolus and other concert dance companies and artists, Pilobolus will forever be known as the gavitational challenger for concert dance. In my opinion, no other company before Pilobolus was so creative and demanding with what it asked of the dancers' bodies. Such a range of possibilities was seen. The contortions and acrobatics included in the dancing indeed provided a new element for the audience, but for me it honestly provided a whole new world for me and my understanding of the concert dance world. I am very pleased with what I have found as a result of my research presented in this project. I have found answers to my previous inquiries. I now know the point of Pilobolus. To me, Pilobolus means breaking rules, finding and creating new expanses to the limitations of the human body, and within those new discoveries and breaking of rules a discovery of a completely unique artistry. Pilobolus is important. Pilobolus matters. Because it is a pivotal asset to the concert dance world and its continuation and growth.
When I read about Pilobolus, the first thought that comes to my mind is "inhuman." In addition to my previous knowledge of Pilobolus, I have learned from this blog that Pilobolus is constantly breaking boundaries in ways that the dance world has never seen. I think it is so exciting to know that a company like this exists in the world! I do agree with Melissa in that the athleticism presented in Pilobolus' work does remind of that which exists in Cirque De Soleil, and I find it to be intriguing. Pilobolus reveals that dance can be daring and experimental, and that it does not have to fit into limitations.
ReplyDeleteFrom reading the blogs that I have, and then reading this one, it amazes me, the variety of dance that is actually in the concert dance world. If i were to see such an acrobatic and humorous performance such as pieces that Pilobolus puts on I would never expect them to be able to be placed in the same category as Martha Graham or Doris Humphrey. Though that is the beauty of dance in general; no matter how one expresses an intent, it is the fact that there is expression, meaning, and beauty behind every single movement, whether it be pleading contractions, or high kicks and flips. Pilobolus opens such a new realm of dance into the concert dance world, while still expressing and focusing on important issues as any other artist has before. I just love this idea that we can open our minds to new and innovative ideas while still having the beauty and purpose behind movements that dance was initially created to provide.
ReplyDelete