
I am interested in researching Pilobolus because of their unique approach to Concert Dance. When I watch their works I find a unique relationship between a Cirque du Soliel type of performance and a qualitative and Contemporary type of performance. The company has a broad range of performance techniques and avenues that I would like to explore with this research project. The company catches my attention because it is an avenue for "transforming the image of the dancer" (New York Times). In my opinion, there are so many elements to the formation of the world of dance, and to the development of a fully functional and able bodied dancer. I personally have a diverse background that includes acrobatics and flexibility training similar to the rudimentary aspects of Pilobolus' "Art and Athletics" (New York Times) style. I want to find out how Pilobolus fits into the world of Concert Dance. I am curious to explore the idea of Pilobolus' works being that of an art form as opposed to an ostentatious entertainment event. I enjoy discovering unique venues of Concert Dance and learning how they were formed and molded. Researching Pilobolus would be a wonderful opportunity for me to grow in my knowledge of dance and my career interests in the concert dance world.
When I first saw Pilobolus at my undergraduate school, they were hailed as being formed from "gymnasts" rather than "dancers." I am intrigued by why some of the Postmodernists, especially Cunningham, who is a "pure movement" choreographer, think of themselves in "Civil War" with them.
ReplyDelete-Peter Strickholm
M- Strong opening that states your values and interests clearly.
ReplyDeleteI completely agree, Pilobolus is one of a kind. I think they have a strong base and beginning in post modernism because of their contact improv beginnings (which they sill incorporate very strongly when creating dance pieces)... But I think they have evolved into more of the "post-post modernism" genre because they focus so much on athleticism, physicality, and strength...
ReplyDelete